|TSW was part of a consultant team to guide the City of Alpharetta in the development of their Downtown Master Plan that will leverage the recent City Center development and promote greater connectivity between major activity centers (City Center, Avalon, and Wills Park), while fostering greater economic sustainability.
The Master Plan consisted of:
- Inventorying and assessing existing conditions, ordinances, and plans for the downtown area
- Facilitating a community-based vision
- Developing a Master Plan through a dynamic hands-on approach involving community leaders, property owners, business owners, and residents
- Crafting regulating plans and code revision, Comprehensive Plan amendments, and design and development guidelines to begin implementation of the community vision
Key recommendations that resulted from an extensive existing conditions analysis and input from numerous public meetings and workshops were:
- Roadway Plan, to provide greater connectivity, giving residents and visitors alternate routes and transportation options
- Bicycle/Pedestrian Paths, to provide greater connectivity and safer routes for bicyclists and pedestrians
- Parking Meter Plan, to encourage turnover of on-street parking spaces within the downtown core
- Parking Deck Plan, to provide structured parking options in different areas of the downtown core, addressing parking concerns of residents, businesses, and visitors
- Stormwater Plan, to increase capacity of the stormwater system for future development, while also incorporating new standards and strategies to allow and promote the use of cisterns, bioswales, and permeable paving
- Downtown District Plan, to preserve and strengthen the historic hear of the downtown core through strategic protections of its historic resources and integration of sensitive new development
TSW’s overall role was project design and assisting in outreach support, which included helping thecommunity in understanding alternatives for the character of future development and using that input to refine the Master Plan’s vision. Following the completion of the Master Plan, TSW is currently working on a new set of regulations to implement the plan’s vision.