Client: City of Duluth
Location: Duluth, Georgia
Status: Completed in 2016
- Master Plan completed and Phase I streetscapes are under construction
- Catalyst project is in construction documentation phase
- Master Plan for Duluth’s downtown core to establish a vision for the future of the area
- Streetscape design and construction documentation
- Design and construction documentation for Parsons Alley Block, a catalytic project
TSW was retained by the City of Duluth to develop their Downtown Master Plan to help establish a vision for the future of the downtown area as a true hometown and a regional magnet for commerce. The Master Plan details an implementation strategy of municipal projects, needed policy changes, and catalytic projects to fulfill that vision.
Following the Master Plan, TSW designed streetscapes for the downtown area focusing on a balance between vehicles and pedestrians. The streetscape is a two-phase project on historic Main Street designed to accommodate outdoor dining, buskers, and mid-block crossings. The project has also increased the amount of on-street parking available in downtown Duluth.
Another implementation project that resulted from recommendations in the Master Plan is the catalytic project, the Parsons Alley Block. TSW is designing Construction Documents for the site that includes a plaza area to serve the downtown area and adjacent restaurants with seating, bocce ball court, entertainment screen, play art structure, public art, and redesigned surface parking area.