Landscape Architecture + Architecture
TSW worked with the City of Powder Springs to create a Town Green park at center of their Town Square. The design team originally created two concept plans for the City and public to review. The final design strategies emphasize a multi-use amphitheater/flex lawn, signature splash pad, and trailhead connecting to the Silver Comet Trail. A tree-filled bosque provides shade for park users and provides recreational opportunities with permanent ping pong tables, movable seating, and art.
Additionally, the plan includes the contemporary multi-purpose amphitheater building including an exterior stage, restrooms, storage and green room for performers. The city desired an interesting roofline and a contemporary architecture to contrast with the beloved red brick buildings of the historic downtown. The final design includes a grey brick, steel columns and beams, and cumaru wood finishes on both the underside of the roof and stage surface. The building design is seamless with and coincided with the development of the park design, programming, circulation, and materiality.
It all began with planning work
This project is rooted in both the LCI and comprehensive planning work previously done by TSW. The results of the comp plan, that led to the design and installation of this park were:
- Strategies to expand the City’s trail system and transit opportunities.
- Economic development opportunities to aid in the attraction of new businesses, and jobs.
- Expansion of the City’s tax base via the annexation and development of nearby parcels in unincorporated Cobb County.
- Recommendations to develop vacant/underdeveloped areas within the City, outside of downtown.
- Adjustments to the City’s current future land use plan and future development plan to ease the implementation of the plan’s eventual recommendations
Many other developments and construction have already been underway since construction began on the park space, a true catalyst for economic development in the heart of downtown Powder Springs, GA.